9 Best Progress Reporting Tools & Software of 2020
Start your search here for project management software with the best progress reporting tools. Our software reviews are written by experts who have spent 357 hours researching and analyzing every little detail about the top progress reporting tools on the market. Compare progress reporting features, facts and figures to find the right fit for your business.
What is Progress Reporting Software?
Progress monitoring displays how much work has been completed and how much work still needs to be completed in order to deliver the project by its deadline. Progress monitoring can be executed via a variety of processes, from central ones like task management to more complex functions such as project budgeting and resource planning.
Additionally, progress monitoring takes into account potential risks and complexities that could delay a project’s due date. Some progress monitoring tools can even generate progress reports that provide project managers with key data about a project’s progress.
Examples of Progress Monitoring Tools
- Kanban: A visual board where work items, represented by cards, are slotted into different columns that can be labeled “To Do”, “Doing” and “Done”.
- Gantt charts: Shows a project’s schedule with tasks and deadlines assigned to individuals.
- Task list view: A grid-like structure that shows task details, assignees, as well as due dates.
- Calendar view: By toggling between weekly or monthly views, users can obtain at a quick glance crucial information regarding their tasks and task deadlines.
Tips for Monitoring a Project’s Progress
- Planning milestones: Milestones are stages along a project timeline that can be marked as they get completed.
- Setting realistic deadlines: Team members will be able to deliver the necessary work items according to the deadlines set, which ensures that projects remain on schedule.
- Checking in frequently: Keeps everyone on track and also shows whether a project is going ahead as planned or behind schedule.
Progress monitoring tools will help project managers keep an eye on projects and they will also be able to quickly adjust deadlines if need be.